Mass brawl breaks out on motorway with traffic brought to a standstill

Fans were seen to be fighting on the M74 near Hampden stadium ahead of the Rangers v Hibs semi-final while motorists were stuck in standstill traffic

A mass brawl broke out on a motorway among football fans ahead of a match.

On Sunday, fans were seen to be fighting ahead of the Rangers v Hibs semi-final, and the altercation was caught on camera.

The shocking incident took place on the M74 near Hampden stadium, Glasgow on Sunday afternoon, with motorists being brought to a standstill because of the disruption.

The footage, which has been circulating on social media, shows two coaches stopped on the inside lane as a large group of people fight on the road.

The incident was filmed by shocked onlookers as they were held up in the road block, Glasgow Live reports.

Some of the crowd even spilled out onto the road towards oncoming cars while drivers switched between lanes to get away from the fighting.

No arrests were made in connection with the incident.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 3.20pm on Sunday, 21 November, police were called to a report of a disturbance on the M74 northbound near junction 1A at Polmadie.

“Officers attended however there was no disturbance ongoing on police arrival. Officers assisted and the road was cleared.”

This is not the first time that football matches have been overshadowed with outbursts of violence between fans.

Earlier in September, a clash between West Bromwich Albion and Millwall was marred with unsavoury scenes of violence.

A video on social media showed fans of both sides in an incident which is thought to have taken place at half-time during the game.

During the chaotic fight, a gate was broken during the brawl and there was no evidence of any police presence to break up or calm the situation down.

One person was laid out unconscious, believed to be a Millwall fan, who was quickly helped by other supporters, and bottles are seen to be chucked over the barriers.

The incident was being investigated by West Bromwich.